PAST GLORY The old Gilmore premises in Fountain Street
MODERN TIMES The premises in Middlepath Street. The current premises are in Blythe
one which has always been committed to moving with the times.
Formerly known as Gilmore & Co, the company was established in 1898 when William
Edwin Gilmore, a young quaker businessman, opened an electrical shop at 25 Fountain
The company moved many years later to premises in Middlepath Street and is now based
in Blythe Street, Belfast.
By 1910, the company was a leading Electrical contractor, installing industrial and
domestic systems throughout Ireland, Scotland and England.
On June 18, 1903, Gilmore & Co were commissioned, on the authority of town clerk
Mr Sam Black, to install electric lighting in The Ulster Hall and to ‘execute the
work for the sum of £385 being the lowest accepted and that the Town Clerk prepare
the necessary contract’.
And records from February 1910 document Belfast businessman Mr Chapman praising a
Gilmore electrical installation: ‘We have found the system to work most efficiently
and have not had any trouble with it - the working of it being almost as simple as
William Gilmore retired in 1946 and the business was
bought over by an ex-apprentice, Samuel Crawford. He was joined by his wife and son
Jimwho helped run the company for 50 years. In 1996 the Crawford family decided
that Gilmore & Co should be incorporated and strengthened as part of The Academy
Group of Companies, with Mr Jim Crawford continuing on a full time basis.
The well respected Gilmore name was retained and continues to prosper.
ILMORE SIGNS is certainly a company which has stood the test of time - and